Oops, another brick in the wall...

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Mar 10 22:05:16 GMT 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> This version doesn't make my subwoofer knock stuff off my
> shelves any more, which is sort of a downside, but the advantage is you can
> hear every sound from the trumpet in this mix (which is sort of a
> downside.)

But seriously, I just listened to the first one.  I thought I had a pretty
good mix before I recorded it, and looked at the waveform.

After chasing a better looking picture as much as anything else, going back in
the opposite direction as depicted on one of those brick wall rant sites,
more toward how things used to look in days of yore, I have to say the
difference is immediate and obvious.

I'm not an audiophile, and I barely (as in not at all) know what any of this
technical gobbledeblabber is about, but I can definitely say the brick wall
take sounds like shit.  Pure, steaming shit.  This third one is enormously
better, though now I'm starting to hear things in the trumpet that make me
think it might still be up too high.  Now that I can hear the trumpet as a
discrete voice.

Interesting.  I have no intention of learning anything about this crap, but
it's nice that this list bludgeoned me in the head and made me learn
something in spite of myself.
--
D. Michael McIntyre