Ideal Matrix editor controls

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Mar 4 09:46:40 GMT 2008

http://drobilla.net/files/mozart_looks_pretty.png

> I am curious to
> hear what kind of matrix edit control scheme's some of you might prefer,
> here's mine:
>
> left click = select and move notes
>
> " a " + left click (on a note )= change velocity

why click? To press a key should be sufficient as a selector for a
command/mode. Maybe have a look at traverso:

http://traverso-daw.org/

these guys have some fresh,new and quite intriguing  ideas and concepts
for mouse-usage with audio-editors. Basically you could point the cursor
to a note, press "l" and change the length of the note by simply moving
the mouse left or right. Whithout any clicking.

> " w " + left click = draw a note

Why not Middle-click whithout the need to press anything on the keyboard?

> right click (on individual, or selected group of notes ) = popup menu with
> commands, copy, paste, quantize, equalize velocity etc...

This should be available in every program - if everybody provides such a
right-click menu new, experimental usage concepts could be introduced
whithout frustrating anybody. If you do not understand a new concept at
first glance, you still have you standard right-click menu to do
whatever you like in the program.

> I haven't given the window controls much thought yet, but I am particularly
> partial to seq24's format.

Seq24 is great but it has its pros and cons. Some of the usage-concepts
 are quite obscure. If there are tooltipps  that reveal the secrets of
the controls, everything is OK.

Thanks a lot for taking the effort to extend the powers of free audio
software! Good luck :-)