avoid jump on cd between tracks

Karlheinz Noise khzmusik at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:58:49 BST 2008

> i believe it is a bit more complex. i cut my wav so that end of one
> track was exactly conected to beggining of next track, i did not change
> the end or begining of the tracks, they just connect perfectly. Still I
> got this "jump" in some players, it was not 2 secs long btw. i burned it
> in K3b. But now with Rezound using cues and burning from rezound itself
> it works fine. Looks like by default programs insert some kind of fade
> in/out in tracks to make sure it starts/end on zero. well... this is my
> explanation of it, but i dont really know.

You should also keep this in mind:

- Many CD players (mostly older ones) insert a gap themselves. If you get a gap on one player and not on another, this is probably what's happening.

- A track on a CD player doesn't have the same resolution as an audio file. Each audio track can only have 99 index points, and if the file doesn't quite fill one, there will be a gap of silence to "fill up" the current index before the next track begins.

Many CD burning programs get around this by not letting you divide the .wav file at anything than index points. This is assuming you use the CD burning program to divide the .wav file into tracks, not that you're saving each track as a single .wav file. Also, every CD burning program I've seen has some method of turning off the gap before tracks (except the first - this is part of the Red Book Standard).

Hope that helps.

-Karlheinz