Suggestions/ideas

Luis de Bethencourt luisbg at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 29 21:45:52 GMT 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:18 PM, Haig Dedeyan <hdedeyan at videotron.ca> wrote:

> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
> >

> Not user friendly enough for the newbies.
>
>  From the main ubuntu studio site, I click on support, then click on the
> link to ubuntu forums and then am presented with 37 forum links (
> http://ubuntuforums.org/ ) to which there is no mention of ubuntu
> studio. Right here, most newbies will quit.
> >>  From my point of view, perhaps non dev people can volunteer & maintain
> >> this site:
> >>
> >> http://ubuntustudio.org/support
> >>
> >> Suggestions:
> >>
> >> - Forums should be on that site and specific to Ubuntu Studio rather
> >> than having people goto the generic ubuntu forums
> >>

> > This would fragment us from the larger Ubuntu community. It was debated
> > in a very wide way on other lists and forums themselves. The forums
> > wanted is there so it was decided.
> >
> > And splitting off goes against your "1 stop shop" idea. :P
> >

> Not really. Studio should be concerned about a 1 stop solution shop for
> problems specific to Studio. Using the generic ubuntu forums just
> doesn't cut it imho.
>
> Another advantage of having studio specific forums would be to give you
> devs stats on what aspect of Studio people are having most issues with,
> hence, let you prioritize your resources more effectively.
> >
> > What you describe is what the Ubuntu Doc team does. Most people just
> > can't be bothered. If you would like to do documentation thats great.
> > Contact mgunes on IRC or 23meg on the Ubuntu Forums (same guy). He has
> > just come on to help organize our Doc team.
> >
> > The Wiki should have links to everything you need to help out if you
> > want to. Just takes reading. Ask if you need to.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio
> >
> > -Cory
> >

> ok, I'll make my suggestions to the devel mailing list. I don't mind
> doing docs as long as it won't be buried on other sites and not
> available on the studio site.
>
> Haig

We want to stay as close as possible to the Ubuntu community and
that's one big reason we use the ubuntu forums. The other big one is
that we find a lot of ubuntu studio users asking us about ubuntu
general questions, when they are going to get faster and better
support from the general ubuntu community. Hence our section in the
ubuntu forums is called "multimedia production" and not "ubuntu
studio".

But if you want to write documentation, we can always have it in our
site and linked from the wiki at the same time.

Luis de Bethencourt

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg at ubuntu.com>