Need Help.. BAD!

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 20:07:35 GMT 2008

> ALL GUI screens/sub-screens have TEXT shown only as clear blocks.  ie; 3x6
> (5x9?) pixelations(?)  Icon names and Kicker Line. This, of course,
> renders the desktop all but unusable.

Ray, I am not quite sure of what you mean by "clear blocks".  You seem
to be directing your difficulties at "all GUI screens/sub-screens", so
I am wondering if your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file might need to be
adjusted a little bit in order to work properly with your monitor?
When Feisty Fawn (7.04) came out, I had troubles with getting it to
properly recognize my laptop's LCD screen so it ended up producing
three vertical sections of the desktop (and each section was only 1/3
of the width of the desktop that it represented), and was completely
unusable.  I found that I could boot into the live CD of the previous
version of *buntu that I had been running, save the xorg.conf file on
my flash drive, then boot back into my new OS build, replace the
xorg.conf file with the one on my flash drive, and then everything was
fine.

As newer versions of operating systems come out, they are having to
support the newer equipment that is currently available and probably
some of the support for older hardware ends up getting left out (I am
assuming...).  I wonder if replacing (or adjusting) your xorg.conf
file could be a solution for you?  I am no expert and I am not sure
that I fully understand your difficulty, but I can say that this
solved my GUI troubles on all of my older laptops.  Try creating a
backup of your existing xorg.conf file, then boot into a 6.06 live CD
and save your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Then boot back into your
current OS and replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the one that
you saved in the 6.06 version.

If your GUI is completely unusable (as you stated), then you may need
to use CTRL + ALT F1 to get to a command prompt.  Mount to your flash
drive, replace your existing xorg.conf file with the one on your flash
drive.  Then CTRL + ALT F7 will get you back to your GUI; to restart
X, you can use CTRL + ALT + Backspace, which will use the settings in
your new xorg.conf file.

Good luck!  Feel free to holler if you have problems or questions.

- Darrin

On Jan 25, 2008 3:22 PM, Ray Edester <Ray_Edester at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I don't know if this is the proper forum... But,
>
> I have upgraded my Ubuntu 6.06 LTS to Studio 7.1 using a CD brought to me
> by a friend.  (Former friend??)  :-)
>
> ALL works very well except;
>
> ALL GUI screens/sub-screens have TEXT shown only as clear blocks.  ie; 3x6
> (5x9?) pixelations(?)  Icon names and Kicker Line. This, of course,
> renders the desktop all but unusable.
>
> The SET command shows the path as;
>
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> I would certainly hate to have to reinstall 6.06 and lose a lot of work put
> into the OS over the year(s)!!!!
>
> If anyone has some ideas I could surely use them as this has gone on for
> nearly a week and I have gotten nowhere, so far.
>
> Tks,
>
> Ray

.   __o
._ \ <,