line-in stays clean, mic signal processed

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Feb 23 15:14:44 GMT 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008, raydar wrote:
> XML file, huh?  That sounds like something I could do; how hard is it to
> gather the data to put in it,

Damnfino.

> and is there an example?

/usr/share/qamix/*.xml

> Could be moot
> now if I keep using this sound card, but it's easily 5+ years old--that
> being likely why it worked, from what you wrote--although if I find the
> sound quality unacceptable and get a new card, it'd be good to know &
> maybe helpful to anyone else struggling with onboard sound or a too-new
> card, as you said.

If you get a new card, spend some money and be happier.

But this whole issue is probably worth addressing.  I know in years of
Rosegarden, despite years of recommendations to the contrary, most people are
still trying to make do with some total pile of crap.  Especially laptop
users.  So it's well worth someone figuring out how to get something like the
card you encountered to work with QAMix.  I'm just too busy to volunteer for
that.  I have enough left on my TODO list at Rosegarden to keep me busy for
the next 25 years at the rate I'm going.  (Though it's hard to imagine that
any of this will still exist 25 years from now.  I wonder when Linux and
Rosegarden will become totally obsolete, like 5.25" floppy disks.)

--
D. Michael McIntyre