Yet another Vinyl vs. CD/Digital debate

Dave Ricketzz boontooz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 19:27:42 GMT 2008

Compressors can be quite musical;  they make a performance easier to hear in many cases.  Without a compressor/limiter your RMS is quite low vs peaks and your SNR suffers.  Part of the mastering process is to judiciously apply electronic magic here and there.  Are you saying this person didn't equalize?

Christopher Stamper <christopherstamper at gmail.com> wrote:  I once had a professionally mastered CD. On the CD, it proudly stated something like this:

"Mastered by *****. Audio signal not passed through any processing device, such as a compressor, at any point in the production or mastering of this disc."

Amazing isn't it? :-)

Christopher Stamper