Yet another Vinyl vs. CD/Digital debate

Evan deepthinker22 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 16:17:11 GMT 2008

Ok, as a fellow audiophile I have too put my word in.
First lets look at the prices of top of the line components. For all the interchangable and truly customizable setup the phonograph has the most options, with many different types of cartridges, arms, motors, pre-amps etc. YOu can easlily get a $100,000 phonograph. The most expensive CD player I have seen (please post others) was $45,000 NAim.
Secon: Todays recordings are in a digital world. Everything is recorded digitally. But at 24-bit "picture" of the wave at a 96KHZ bandwidth. This is compressed t oa 16-bit 44.1KHZ CD image. However, when the master for the record is made lasers are used to create and exact picture of the wave captured by the microphone with the accuracy of the 24-hbit recording. Or in true analog recordings a true reproduction. Giving you with vinyl a more spactious sound with much mroe depth and dynamic constrast without drowing out the other instruments because of there relation to vinal. That is the danger with 24-bit mixes going to a CD somthing that you hear (viloins in a metal song) on the 24-bit recording which are identifiable could be lost by the compression of the CD. With a vinyl done right you wont lose the highs and clarity of ALL the channels.
The negatives to vinyl
I will try to explain this the best I can from what I know feel free to correct thes section and repost if you know I am wrong.
With the records you loose your bass response and bass curve because the tone arm and catridge with its mass can absorb the low frequencys as they pass by the needle for the same reson that there low. When the frequency is lower that means there is less cycles per second and the tone arm moves with the notes rather than the needle because it has time too. Thats why customizing a turntable is such an important thing to get the right balance and match for the other components to create and accurate reproduction in sound.
The positives of CD. Cost
However in terms of more accurate spatious dynamically efficient sound, records will produce the beswt sound so long as there is good equipment. If I was to go to Best Buy to build a listening system for records vs cds. The Cd would most definatly win. If I wen't to classic stero with a good turntable and hi-fi recording, and used there B&W 802Ds (If you don't know B&W you might not wan't to be a part of this conversation) on Krell amplifiers, not to mention the really sweet Denon reciever and krell preamps. (No subs required but available for when you want to absolutly make yourself deaf with zero distortion equally represented sound or if your a movie fan) That system even with the Naim $45,000 Cd player with a standard formant CD the record is going to win hands down.

Also with tube amps and preamps vinyl would also beat the CD in terms of tone quality.

What would out do vinyl is the 24-bit 96K recording or even and HD-Audio AES/EBU interface would win. So long as that is the original audio quality level. Eventually with HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray whichever wins the vinyl audio will be lost to digital. But still not a true replacment to the tone provided with an all analog recording combined with a all analog tube system.

From: "D. Michael McIntyre" <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com>