Ogg/MP3 encoding at very high bitrates

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 14:19:32 GMT 2008

thomas fisher wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008 17:52:08 Cory K. wrote:
>
>> Joseph Wakeling wrote:
>>
>>> Probably in the long run I will do as Cory has done and back up my whole
>>> CD collection in FLAC (all it needs is time plus a big enough external
>>> hard disk).
>>>
>> Just to give you a idea of size, 650 some odd CDs encoded at "--best"
>> take up 212GB of harddrive space for me.
>>
>> -Cory \m/
>>

>   Cory did you give the ogg format a consideration compared to flac? And if so
> what were the pro & cons?
> Thanks
> Tom

I had considered ogg/vorbis but what it came down to for me was this:

    * Hard drive space wasn't an issue.
    * My devices supported FLAC and Vorbis. (iRiver player with RockBox.
      Cowon makes excellent players that support open formats also)
    * I wanted to be able to go to other formats using a lossless
      source. FLAC fit this perfectly.

You might find this interesting. Lossless comparison chart:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

I had considered Wavpack, which is also an excellent format, but it has
limited HW support and I haven't really seen it being used for anything
but personal use. ie: Used as a distribution format I mean. For-pay or
otherwise.

-Cory \m/