A bad experience ...

Det mailtodet at dets-home.de
Tue Feb 5 15:30:32 GMT 2008

Hi Gustin,

thanks for your mail.

> I would look at hard drive performance.  The I/O on laptops is usually
> significantly slower on laptops.  You may also need to tune your hard
> drive with hdparm, google is your friend here.

Thanks for the tip.
Reg. dedicated hardware, it will come to S-ATA, I suppose?

> Linux is not Windows.

Fortunately not.
I am somewhat sceptic when it comes to windows.

> It is not a valid comparison.

That's right, as I already said.

> Your son does not have a jack equivalent (and yes I have used
> rewire extensively, it is still not in the same ball park).
> You would likely have had the same results as your son if you had
> not used the apps you did.

This may indeed be right, but nevertheless a sad result, isn't it?

It all comes to the same result in the end:
Musicians want to make music, not administering their OS in the first place.

UbuntuStudio wants to be a distribution for exactly that people, a
specific kind
of all the people who simply wants to work with their computers, what is the
target of Ubuntu in general.

To be of really great usability, a system needs to be reliable,
understandable,
maintainable.  That's why so many people are attracted by Macs.
Buying and running a Mac is like buying and running a DVD recorder or the
like.

For UbuntuStudio to be of a comparable usability for new people giving it
a try,
it needs better documentation and clear hardware requirements.

A step by step instruction beginning with hints for purchasing adequate
hardware
(a list with some examples reg. some common use cases will do), installing
instructions, getting started with jack a.s.o. and then extracts from and
links to
the dedicated manuals for the different apps would be a bestseller in the
bookstores,
I suppose.

Its only a matter of time, I think ;-).

Many of the stuff is catchable in the wilderness of the internet already,
but not
in a structured, consolidated way.

Hardware advices, the first step, seems to be the last one to
be documented.

I for my part am software developer for business apps. I'm not shy to do
google researches and turn the screws of my system to get it work.
But after years of doing that with Unix, Suse, Debian, Knoppix and now
Ubuntu (without being the typical admin), I get weary.
Now it is okay to invest some few nights into such stuff, but it must be
balanced
with the experience of actively using it.

> Audacity works fine for me on all my Linux boxes.  It is sort of like
pulling out
> a sword that you don't know how to use, then whining when you cut
> yourself.

Experience from teachers:
If you teach your childs to do manufacturing, give them sharp tools.
The danger to get hurt is much bigger with the edgeless ones.

I thought the named combi  to be a tool sharp enough for the job.
BTW: It is an interesting consideration that we already DID that jobs with
apps like Cubase on machines that were far away from the performance
data of actual systems. But that was deep down in history ...

Regarding what I said above:   Yes, unfortunately the machine may
be fit for the cutter, not for the swiss army knife.
Yes, I'm not interested in doing too much research in performance
optimisation
of the said laptop.
Buying dedicated hardware is an option.
So the question is:  Which?