Audio-Visual Installation Question

Pascal Cretain pascal.cretain at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:23:09 GMT 2008

Hi List,

I'm setting up an istallation that consists of:

1) Visual: A 30 minute Video File on playback
2) Audio: Live manipulation of sound samples with Audacity/Ardour to
accompany the Video.

I own one laptop (Ubuntu w/ VIA/S3G Graphics Card) and one Toshiba TDP-S8UK
projector. The question is:
How do I project the video while doing my real-time Sound
improvisation using only the two pieces of Hardware that I own?

I have come up with a few ideas, most of which require extra hardware (e.g a
cheap DVD player to connect to the projector while I dedicate my laptop
to  Audacity). I've also been thinking whether it would be possible to
'split' the screen in half somehow -
left part of the screen being
sent to the projector whereas I use the right part of the screen for
Audacity/Ardour.

I appreciate that this list is not ideal for this type of question but it's
the most relevant I am aware of!

Many thanks
Pascal Cretain