pulseaudio problems

Ufuk fokusfired at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:16:51 GMT 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 20:35:34 gusage . wrote:
>   I have a 5.1 sound card with alsa.. if I connect the three cables (green,
> black and yellow) the subwoofer do not play any sound.. ironically it works
> when I unplug the yellow cable (which is supposed to be the for the
> subwoofer/center, I think)
>
> From: fokusfired at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: pulseaudio problems
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:29:06 +0200
> To: ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Monday 15 December 2008 18:20:57 Ufuk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using ubuntustudio-desktop with Intrepid Ibex 8.10.I have Creative
> >
> > SB Live 5.1 soundcard. I have never used pulseaudio before and I
> >
> > always stick with default alsa driver. I have never got pulseaudio work
> >
> > in other Ubuntu releases.
> >

> > This time I heard sound from my computer and I wanted to configure
> >
> > pulseaudio. I used some tutorials and documentation:
> >
> > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=866965
> >

> > I can now get 5.1 sound from my speakers (mostly). But I also have
> >
> > some weird problems.
> >
> > 1. mplayer crashes pulseauido when pulse audio used as "ao".
> >
> > Pulseaudio immeadiayely disconnects and mplayer hangs with error
> >
> > messages. "connection failure".
> >

> > 2. When I try to use alsa driver, I only get bad quality sound (no sound
> >
> > from my subwoofer (LFE). I get this sound from all applications when
> >
> > using alsa, including mplayer.
> >

> > 3. In Jack, I also get low quality sound (no basses) when I used
> >
> > Hydrogen and other applications. I don't know what to choose as
> >
> > devices in Jack settings when using pulseaudio. I set it default like
> > I've
> >
> > done before with alsa.
> >

> > 4. So mplayer crashes, Kaffeine has short freezes (I don't know the
> >
> > reason, it started with Intrepid Ibex when I use subtitles, it has
> >
> > annoying really short freezes when each subtitle text appear on the
> >
> > screen). may be due to nvidia drivers or something. I tried to use
> >
> > movie player (totem?) which I don't find useful, sound is good and
> >
> > working but I have some audio-video differences (irregularities) with
> >
> > movie player. So the only app. I haven't tried is VLC.
> >

> > Any help and/or ideas?
>
> I have recently found that when I open alsamixer with the command:
>

> alsamixer -Dhw
>

> I can adjust the sound levels of wave center, wave LFE, wave surround and
> can get 5.1 sound when using alsa driver with applications. I tested it
> with Hydrogen and Jack and also with mplayer.

After the upgrade of pulseaudio packages which I did it today, VLC player also
crashes with an error, indicating CPU usage:

Soft CPU time limit exhausted, terminating.

VLC uses alsa, so I think when I use alsa driver with the applications,
pulseaudio crashes with high CPU usage. Any others experiencing this problem?
Also I need to know if pulseaudio provides better sound quality with the apps.
and Jack. If it doesn't, I will return to alsa and remove all pulseaudio
packages.

--
http://ufuxlinux.com