pulseaudio problems

Ufuk ufuk.kilicaslan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:01:33 GMT 2008

Hello,
I am using ubuntustudio-desktop with Intrepid Ibex 8.10.I have Creative
SB Live 5.1 soundcard. I have never used pulseaudio before and I
always stick with default alsa driver. I have never got pulseaudio work
in other Ubuntu releases.

This time I heard sound from my computer and I wanted to configure
pulseaudio. I used some tutorials and documentation:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

I can now get 5.1 sound from my speakers (mostly). But I also have
some weird problems.
1. mplayer crashes pulseauido when pulse audio used as "ao".
Pulseaudio immeadiayely disconnects and mplayer hangs with error
messages. "connection failure".

2. When I try to use alsa driver, I only get bad quality sound (no sound
from my subwoofer (LFE). I get this sound from all applications when
using alsa, including mplayer.

3. In Jack, I also get low quality sound (no basses) when I used
Hydrogen and other applications. I don't know what to choose as
devices in Jack settings when using pulseaudio. I set it default like I've
done before with alsa.

4. So mplayer crashes, Kaffeine has short freezes (I don't know the
reason, it started with Intrepid Ibex when I use subtitles, it has
annoying really short freezes when each subtitle text appear on the
screen). may be due to nvidia drivers or something. I tried to use
movie player (totem?) which I don't find useful, sound is good and
working but I have some audio-video differences (irregularities) with
movie player. So the only app. I haven't tried is VLC.

Any help and/or ideas?

--
http://ufuxlinux.com