cd/dvd-burning very slow

Melisizwe Dubaku ssizarit at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:00:31 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 20:38, Steve Meiers <tekrytor at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This sounds like possibly a low memory situation, where your RAM is not
> enough and so the OS goes to the SWAP file. It could be that the swap file
> is too small and by increasing the size of your swap partition or RAM will
> help. If you can add RAM to your computer, try to fill it to capacity, it
> never hurts to have lots of RAM. It could also be the processor speed, if
> your computer has less than a 1GHz processor, it can slow things down.
> Faster is always better. I have some older PC's that run Ubuntu, but they
> are much slower than my newer ones. Especially with RAM and processor
> intensive operations like burning CD/DVD. Just a guess though, if you have
> modern hardware, it could be something else.

Hmm, I've got a dual core 2.4 AMD64 CPU, with one gig of RAM. I'm not doing
any operation I haven't done under Windows XP, in which case everything
worked just fine. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I run the 64-bit
version of Studio. Anyway, before I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, everything
ran more or less fine. But the fact that everything else starts getting
affected by the burn process was there before. I believe it has worsened.
I've tried deleting the dotfiles for Brasero, but it doesn't change
anything.

I will watch RAM usage next time just in case.