PC x Mac

Simon Lowen simon at simonloewen.com
Tue Dec 2 14:37:35 GMT 2008

Daniel,

	I agree with you and you echo my sentiments.

Regards,
An ex-Logic on PC/Windows user who invested a fair sum of money into it
2 months afore Emagic was bought by Apple.

Active Accounts wrote:
> Ok... I've held my tongue on this long enough... :P
>
> I won't reiterate what has already been said, I saw the email come
> across about a week ago and it made a solid point. Apple's company
> strategy resembles the hunting tactics of leeches. They have taken
> everything from Open Source, built their entire company upon it and gave
> _nothing_ back. Name one application that Apple has developed and ported
> over to Linux. Hell, they haven't even ported iTunes over...
>
> Personally, I don't want to invest into that type of environment... I
> care where my money goes and I choose to support business models that
> promote human interest instead of degrade it. So, if I can do the same
> job in Open Source... consider it done - it may be harder, or it may
> take a bit more time... and I'm okay with that because in the end I know
> that my pocket book did not feed the beast.
>
> I used to think Apple was better than Microsoft, in terms of business
> practices and ethics, and now I can see they are the same... if not
> worse. I will have nothing to do with any of them...
>
> *descends from soap box*
>
> Ciao,
>
> Daniel
>
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 03:53:16 Karoliina Salminen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>

>> Well, there was the discussion about laptops... "I use this and I swear on
>
>> it". Well, I have a gadget freak's solution: have them all. As a result, I
>
>> don't swear on any particular machine and the only ones of them I
>
>> really love of them are all Apple hardware. I don't really look for
>
>> the processing power only, but the complete product - I have plenty of
>
>> processing power available at hand. For example, the iMac which I use
>
>> for the most heavy music production, is only 2.6 GHz Core2 Duo, and so
>
>> far the CPU hasn't run out in my music even if I am running dozens of
>
>> software synthesizers and audio tracks at the same time with the Space
>
>> Designer per part (the convolution reverb, I remember the time when I
>
>> had a Pentium3 - 400 MHz, and all the CPU got used for calculating
>
>> just one convolution reverb and there was a huge latency on it, now I
>
>> can have about as many of convolution reverbs at one time than I ever
>
>> want, and the CPU is not yet even fully utilized). What it comes to
>
>> loving one machine, one feature of a old PC is that it has absolutely
>
>> no lasting feel to it, after 10 years, the PC is just junk and trash.
>
>> The Apple machine is beautiful, and feels retro cool after 10 years. I
>
>> don't love any of the PCs I have. They are just boring tools where GPU
>
>> model and CPU model counts and when they get old, they have no value
>
>> of any kind (neither emotional nor practical).
>

>> I am regularly using the following laptops:
>
>> - Apple Macbook (2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250 GB HD) (MacOSX + Ubuntu) [Hardy]
>
>> - Apple Macbook (2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250 GB HD) (MacOSX)
>
>> - Apple Macbook Pro (4GB RAM, 250 GB HD) (MacOSX + Ubuntu) [Hardy]

> [...]

- --
PGP plugin for Microsoft Outlook: http://www.gpg4win.org/
PGP plugin for Thunderbird/Mozilla: http://enigmail.mozdev.org
No legitimate reason to know, no legitimate reason to ask.
In the beginning, things were simple. That's arguably because people
were far more stupid, but let's not split hairs.