Any clues?

Hamish Low sub_acoustic at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Aug 22 23:07:47 BST 2008

So I've been able to make everything work, have now created a separate
user login with as few extraneous applications as possible.

If anyone has any clues what I should try next please let me know.

Also there's a minor digital static with every hit of the midi keyboard,
it's minor but annoying.  Also I'm not sure at what level would be
optimal to set the memlock percentage at.

My setup again:
Laptop with Hardy
Kernel Linux 2.6.24-19-rt
gnome 2.22.3
memory: 1011.0 MiB
Processor: Intel(R) M processor 1.80GHz
M-Audio Axiom 25 USB Midi keyboard
Presonus Firebox

Jack crashes after 2-5 minutes, and always with the same output in the
messages window.  the whole system suddenly becomes overloaded.  Perhaps
it's not even a problem with the Presonus Firebox/freebob??

Qjackctl's output upon crashing is:

10:56:55.455 Audio active patchbay scan...
10:56:55.457 first: ardour:click/out 1 -> system:playback_1 checked.
10:57:00.718 JACK connection graph change.
10:57:00.735 Shutdown notification.
10:57:00.758 Post-shutdown script...
10:57:00.759 killall jackd
cannot complete execution of the processing graph (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
zombified - calling shutdown handler
10:57:00.858 Audio active patchbay scan...
10:57:01.189 Post-shutdown script terminated successfully.
10:57:02.747 ALSA connection graph change.
10:57:02.867 MIDI active patchbay scan...
10:57:02.869 ALSA connection change.
10:57:03.070 MIDI active patchbay scan...

I can't fathom the bad luck i've had so far
first with an M-Audio Quattro
then shelling out for the Firebox
and now it looks like i either need another soundcard, or a 64-bit laptop
because hopefully when my musical ideas are realised i'll be able to
tour and work as i travel
if anyone has any idea how i can salvage my setup please let me know
else it's months of wage-slavery till i can upgrade

Hamish