kernel question

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:30:24 BST 2008

hi all again

> Toby Smithe(e)k dio:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  > hi
>>>  >
>>>  >  i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
>>>  >  which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
>>>  >  2.6.22-14-generic?
>>>
>>>  For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
>>>  sure your audio-apps  can nicely work in realtime without xruns
>>>  occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>>
>> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
>> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.
>>
>> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.
>
> just installed this and upgraded the system and my wifi network is gone,
> freebob fails to start ... nice one :( it upgraded few things on top of
> installing the linux-rt package, like network manager and linux modules.

sorry if i am asking too many questions ... i just want to get this
system up and running before tomorrow.

I decided to reinstall Ubuntu Studio, I had a bit of a mess with jack
and some apps in my prev system. Better to have a fresh one.

Now with the generic kernel I get all general stuff working fine, only
jack with freebob is not stable. Then with the RT kernel jack runs fine
so far but I dont get wifi connection. My card is not displayed by lspci.

Is this normal? For me it is good and bad, good because it was causing
conflicts with freebob and bad because sometimes i need network when
working with sound. I guess the module that deals with my wifi card is
not loaded, maybe I should compare a lsmod with both kernels? then i
guess i would need to load the module with the RT kernel and see if it
works.

Otherwise all seems to work fine. BTW, is there is a mode to switch
kernels without rebooting?

thanks!

enrike