Dead-Lock after last major update on Studio Hardy Beta - Greeter applications seems to be crashing

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sun Apr 6 20:44:13 BST 2008

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:01:20 +0200
"Klaus Schulz" <kls.schlz at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I just installed the Studio Hardy Beta the 2nd time to make sure that
> I didn't do anything wrong.
> After the automatic-update ( which was introduced on the 2nd of
> April) I am getting below problem.
>
> After the reboot X won't start anymore. The message occurs "Greeter
> applications seems to be crashing" ending up in a dead-lock, calling
> for a hard-reset.
>
> Is it just me having this problem? Couldn't find anything about it on
> the web.
>
> Let me know if this is the right place to post this. It's the first
> time I am getting in touch with you.
>

> THX
> KLS

Hi,
I had the exactly same problem.
To get a bootloader you can temporarily remove gdm and install kdm.

To resolve the problem I followed the steps cory providedu, which were
as follows:
---
Try removing the gtkrc for the GDM theme the installing
ubuntustudio-desktop again. Then re-enable the theme. Reboot.
---

Regards,
	Philipp