Perparing for a presentation on Ubuntu Studio

Chris Dawson xrdawson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:31:09 BST 2007

Ben,

My biggest gripe with Linux audio is that so many applications, and
audio specific applications like RealPlayer or Flash, still persist in
supporting OSS rather than ALSA, and let's not even hold out for JACK.
 OSS apps lock the sound card making it impossible to share with other
applications.  The net effect is that in order to watch Flash movies
within Firefox you either have to kill JACK and any other apps using
the sound card, let Flash via Firefox attach to the sound card, and
then watch what you want.  If you then want to use any other app, you
have to kill the Firefox which is the Flash player host.  This gets
annoying very quickly.  There are bridges to avoid this like oss2jack
but in my experience they don't work reliably yet.  This simple audio
issue would cause a lot of people to avoid Linux, IMHO.  Telling them
they have to kill Firefox in order to play their music is not a
problem that exists on OSX or even Windows.  JACK, ESD, aRTS,
Gstreamer attempt to address the problem that OSS causes, and
generally do a fine job with applications that support those
interfaces, but they all provide new interfaces which are not
compatible with OSS apps.  One of the impossibilities in a
decentralized development environment like the Linux community is that
there is not 100% consensus on upgrading past OSS.  The flash guys are
aware of this, and have cited these same reasons as why Flash
development lags on Linux, but they've not fixed it yet.

</rant>

Chris