Laptop DAW

Rafael F. Compte rfcompte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 02:27:43 BST 2007

Thank you very much Dennis and Kim. I bookmarked the web pages and intend to
read them thoroughly.

I actually had a hard time finding my way around a couple of weeks ago with
the configuration of Jack, and that is the most important part if you want
to actually be able to start getting something done. What helped me out was
a tutorial I found in Quick
Tips<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/QuickTips>subsection
of the ubuntustudio wiki. It's basically a general life-saving
configuration (it helped!!), but I'm still trying to figure it out so I can
get the most of it. I haven't got deep enough yet.
So, here are a couple more doubts, if it's ok with you guys. I see in Linux
there is more than sound architecture available. I see there is ALSA, OSS,
ESD... you name it... Can anybody explain the really basic differences?
(sometimes it's hard to understand very technical explanations the first
time) Which one is more convenient for sound production? Any basic tips for
optimal configuration? I thing discussing this things here could be helpful
for a lot of Linux newbies like me that come from a Windows background. As
usual I'm all ears...
One more thing. Has anybody tried Canorus? Looks good from what I saw on the
web page<https://canorus.berlios.de/wiki/images/0/04/Canorus-0.1.0-harmonyanalyzer2.png>.
Being a music student (who would like to the a music teacher some day) I'm
interested in the analisys features.

Rafael