I have a question...

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Sep 4 00:44:40 BST 2007

Hash: SHA1

Cory K. schrieb:

> It was talked about in #ubuntu as well as on UbuntuForums. We couldn't
> update the site, it was down. ;)

A site, that can be viewed in the browser is not exactly down is´nt it?
Also I must say, that I have a few sites myself - downtime last 2 years
about 10 minutes for a dist-upgrade. Of course you have more visitors
then the 10000 or so that I have in my logs/month but you also have the
infrastructure of an industry-grade IT-system so downtimes for days or
weeks seem kinda strange in my ignorant eye...

>> Still I vote for a special Ubuntustudio-Forum also. The normal
>> Ubuntuforums are as unusable to maintain a fluent communication with the
>> users
> Sorry. This decision was made to keep closer to the established Ubuntu
> community.

The Ubuntustudio-Forum was an integrated part of these forums.
Music-Production is not desktop enough to be of much interest for the
established users of any computersystem geared towards desktop-users. To
be perfectly honest: as a music-maker I do not feel home amongst the
vast majority of people that only want to know, how to connect their
ipods and how to play encrypted DVDs...

>> as the Canonincal Repositories are inadequate to host all  needed
>> packages in versions that are recent enough to be usable (Ardour needs
>> to be upgraded every single time its sources are upgraded by Pauls team,
>> same thing with Rosegarden, Muse, you name it...).
> This is not possible as packages need to go through testing.

Testing is most important - that is agreed. So if one tests Ardour 2.0.2
he/she will find dozens of bugs some of them severe, that are fixed in
2.0.4/5 - so having a more stable app in the repos would be quite okay,
would it be not?

> Blindly
> uploading updates is not the way. Also, things can take a little longer
> because we sync our packages from Debian.

Of course it would not be wise, to have a new package of Ardour 2 days
after every given source-release but in 2-3 weeks this could be done I
think. To wait half a year without getting the bugs fixed is no option
for productive users.

Whatif a crash-bug would be found in apache? Would there not be an
upgrade before the next official release?

>> So again: is there need for help? I would be honoured to give a hand :-)
>> best regards
>> HZN
> Not at the moment. We have things under control. Just because you don't
> see the work, doesn't mean its not being done. :D

Visibility is communication, communication is life - that is the way of
the web.

best reg.


Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org


More information about the Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list