Ubuntu-Studio-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 28

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Oct 27 20:15:26 BST 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, jk at jasonkahn.net wrote:
> > #cat /etc/groups|grep audio
>
> No such file or directory

He meant /etc/group.  You should see something like this:

$ cat /etc/group|grep audio
audio:x:29:my_user

> i don't understand here what you are referring to with "group audio."
> could you please explain?

I'm sure there are plenty of thorough explanations of groups on Linux/UNIX
systems, so I'll only offer the barest nutshell.

One use for groups is to give specific users access to controlled resources.
You should be in lots of groups by default, and being in the "audio" group
gives you special access to sound-related things.  The audio hardware, I
think, maybe other things, and the specifics don't really matter.

If you issue a groups command, you can see what groups you're already in:

$ groups
my_user dialout cdrom floppy audio [etc.]

You need to be in the audio group.  If you're not...  Um.  More than I want to
get into just now, since Ubuntu uses GNOME by default, and I hate and don't
use GNOME.  I normally use a KDE tool for this job, and I'd have to go look
up the other ways, and I'm too lazy just now.
--
D. Michael McIntyre