ubuntu studio and ubuntu 7.10

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:04:22 BST 2007

Oops, I forgot to include starting up dhcp into the commands.  Got
ahead of myself.  Here it is again (also, this is assuming that your
wireless interface is ath0; it could easily be something else, like
ra0, or eth1. etc.... to see what your interface is, use iwconfig):

$ sudo su
$ ifconfig ath0 up
$ dhclient ath0
$ iwconfig ath0 essid yourRouterNameHere key routerWepKey

Also, in place of the second and third line, you could instead use:
$ ifdown ath0 && ifup ath0
This will bring down your wireless interface, bring it back up, and
will start dhcp.

If the Network Manager is not cutting it for you, try out Wifi Radar;
it can be installed with Synaptic.
http://wifi-radar.systemimager.org/

Good luck!

- Darrin

On 10/24/07, Matt Henry <mhenry35 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Darrin,
>
> Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try.  My issue was that I could see
> the network, but was unable to connect beyond just to the local access
> point.  I use the internet from wifi hotspots, so typically I connect to a
> webpage, log in, and then that grants me access to the outside world.
>
> I was getting the local login prompt, but after putting in my info, I never
> got the response back.  I've seen the same problem reported on the forums,
> but I didn't see anyone post a clear fix or workaround.  I did see one
> person suggest removing network manager and using a different tool - so I'm
> also going to get the details on that and give Gutsy one more try.
>

> Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of you have mentioned wifi issues with Gutsy. When I upgraded to
> 7.10, when I added the Network Manager to my top panel, I noticed that
> it did not give me any wireless options, which means that I was not
> able to use the gui in order to connect to a wireless network. Not
> sure why this was the case since I am assuming that things generally
> only get better with upgrades, rather than digress. I was able to
> manually connect to wifi with the following:
> $ sudo su
> $ ifconfig ath0 up
> $ iwconfig ath0 essid yourRouterNameHere key routerWepKey
>
> However, now my Network Manager seems to be properly displaying my
> wifi networks and allows me to connect/disconnect to/from them as
> needed. The only thing that I changed was that I installed wifiradar,
> although I have not used it yet. Perhaps there was an update that was
> pushed out that solved the Network-Manager issue.
>
> For those of you who stated that you cannot connect to wifi, I wonder
> if you mean that your Network Manager is not working properly, or if
> you cannot manually connect to wifi using the commands that I listed
> above?
>
> - Darrin
>
> On 10/24/07, Pietro Bergamo wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the hints.
> > Best regards,
> > Pietro
> >
> > Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail, o único sem limite de espaço para
> > armazenamento!
> > --

Chicken Little only has to be right once.
- Firestone's Law of Forecasting