What do you guys listen to? :)

greg emond g4gregoire at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:28:01 GMT 2007

thats a pretty good idea...

Id love to share my stuff with the list...although im not sure the list wants to hear my stuff  :)

as for the security aspect, as soon as your songs are out there...would it be on cd, or Itunes, or whatever, they are vulnerable to download...till somebody comes with a magic pill, its just a reality we have to live with...and if its not download, its bands picking up your ideas!

but yeah thats a good plan!  I would gladfully contribute to  a ubuntu studio musical melting pot....and the songs shoud be done exclusively with ubuntu studio tools  ;)  (well aside from external equipment, of course)

From: deepthinker22 at comcast.netTo: ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.comSubject: RE: What do you guys listen to? :)Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:16:44 -0500

I think I own 75% of that list

 computer-savvy music-heads (and music-savvy computer-heads).  I'm into a wide variety too:  I especially like music that is brutally honest like Johnny Cash, early U2... music that is agressive/progressive and intricate like Yes, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Cream (anything Clapton), Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden (& other Chris Cornell projects to an extent)... music that is soothing but still smart like Miles, Coltrane, Beethoven, Chopin, Ravell, Rachmaninoff, Ray Lamontagne, Nick Drake, Andrew Bird, Coldplay, CSN(Y)... music that is just solid rock & roll, like Petty, The Stones, Hendrix, Foo Fighters... music that is cutting-edge or just plain unique like Radiohead, Tom Waits, Pink Floyd, Phish, Steely Dan, Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Ours.
Mabey we should set up a server to share (limited of course) our own recordings or creations to be used with the Ubuntu studio users, to check out the wide variety of the mucisians. Say like 30sec clips. (Limited to users only) I am sure that as a whole group of programmers, we can find a way to prevent downloading, and freeloaders. Just an idea being floated, might need a poll or something to get a general feel of the idea though.

From: ubuntu-studio-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:ubuntu-studio-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Sean CorbettSent: Friday, November 30, 2007 9:33 AMTo: ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.comSubject: Re: What do you guys listen to? :)

Well I'm new to the list so I'll at least say hello first... hello!  My name's Sean, and I am an UbuntuStudioholic.  Forgive me if someone else already used that line, or if it's just plain dorky.Sounds like everyone has really varied, but good, music tastes on this list, which is to be expected from computer-savvy music-heads (and music-savvy computer-heads).  I'm into a wide variety too:  I especially like music that is brutally honest like Johnny Cash, early U2... music that is agressive/progressive and intricate like Yes, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Cream (anything Clapton), Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden (& other Chris Cornell projects to an extent)... music that is soothing but still smart like Miles, Coltrane, Beethoven, Chopin, Ravell, Rachmaninoff, Ray Lamontagne, Nick Drake, Andrew Bird, Coldplay, CSN(Y)... music that is just solid rock & roll, like Petty, The Stones, Hendrix, Foo Fighters... music that is cutting-edge or just plain unique like Radiohead, Tom Waits, Pink Floyd, Phish, Steely Dan, Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Ours.  That said, I also harbor a secret love for 70s Christian folk and rock, like Keith Green, Glass Harp (Phil Keaggy), Larry Norman, Parable, Love Song... there's a few others I can't think of at the moment.  Oh and my favorite guitarist is probably Jim Hall... search YouTube for him, please, if you're into jazz.  I play guitar myself, so if you couldn't tell my tastes are strongly guitar-centric.  Until recently i was in a Coldplay-like band called Idiosympathy; we still have some music up on myspace, recordings that I engineered.  Shameless plug, sorry. Oh and one more guilty pleasure:  chiptunes.  i.e., music written specifically for/on old (mid-80s) game and computer systems, such as the NES or Commodore 64.  Here are a couple good examples you can look up on myspace or google:  Bit Shifter, Nullsleep, Tree Wave, Animal Style, the Vinny Club.  Also the music *from* said era of video games i find to be quite amazing... limiting counterpoint to 3 parts really forced the composers to be creative. Sorry that was long, there's just so much good music out there!  I didn't even list my favorite local bands, which there are plenty of.Sean-- "Almost any misfortune ispreferable to a worse one." -t. weller