Please realize...

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 14:05:36 GMT 2007

Karoliina Salminen wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> So you can see how while we would _love_ to work on the issues that are
>> repeatedly brought up but... we need help. Simple. If you want to see
>> the things in and around Ubuntu Studio you need to get involved. We only
>> have so much time.
>>

> I have been lurking around for quite as long as Ubuntu studio has
> existed and have not figured out how
> to be able to contribute on it other than maybe doing contributions to
> software involved which I may not
> have enough time.

Yes. Thats one way to contribute to Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio. Work on
upstream applications. But you said you have no time.

> The biggest obstacle seems currently the fact that
> the audio software, particularly
> midi-audio sequencers, are not in the level of maturity a musician
> needs for doing music without just feeling
> the pain of creativity (I struggled and tried for about 5 years and
> finally decided to get a Mac as I wanted
> to get rid of the xruns in the audio and wanted just a simple thing:
> record without recording stopping now and
> then for xrun, and play the thing back too with similar results. As a
> result, after a long time for doing nothing, I have now produced
> even some new music lately and also edited some my videos (which was
> impossible on Linux as there is no
> high definition video editing software for Linux (kino and diva don't
> work because they are DV editors and
> not suitable for high def (1920x1080)). No xruns and the video is full
> definition, no interlace-errors, etc.).

Yes all things we see also but have no control over. Its like asking
Microsoft to fix problems with Premiere. They have no control over it.

> So I see, there is plenty of work to do in the Ubuntu Studio and Linux
> audio/video area anyway but how much of that
> is directly on the Ubuntu Studio itself is a bit unclear to me, and I
> would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more about it.

Work on upstream applications.

> So please tell me some concrete thing where you would need help in
> Ubuntu studio distribution itself and I might think about it.
> Time permitting I would like to help if I am allowed to. My work
> laptop and our living room PC are running Ubuntu Studio.
> My experience is mainly on area of programming languages (C, C++,
> Python) + UI toolkits (Gtk+, Qt, Clutter) +
> desktop framework + multithreading & synchronization.
>
> Best wishes
> Karoliina
> ---
> http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog

Best way to get involved is learn packaging. That is the single biggest
way to improve things in Ubuntu Studio right now. Bug-fixing.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing

ISO testing. https://iso.qa.stgraber.org and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Cases/UbuntuStudioAlternate

Next is documentation. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

Next is art. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Artwork

We actually do very little programing though we have a small settings
app in development. And I mean small. We should be able to handle it
just fine. Ubuntu Studio Controls -
https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-controls

-Cory \m/