ardour - recording while playing a loop

Karoliina Salminen karoliina.t.salminen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 13:52:05 GMT 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 1:50 PM, verymeta <verymeta at riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible in Ardour to play a loop in
> one track, while recording another track? Obviously, I would want the
> recording track to move forward linearly - at the moment, I can get
> Ardour to loop all the tracks or none of them, but I can't get it to
> loop one track but not another.

At least I have not figured out how to do that, but I usually do this:
- copy-paste the loop as many times as I need it on one track
and then
- record the other tracks.

I just copy-paste the loop so many times that I have enough them to
cover the entire song
if I so prefer. I usually do this with drums because my mind is full
of melodies, evolving pads etc.
but when it comes to constructing a drum loop, I usually come up with
something really boring.
So what I do is that I use some boring loop while I am playing &
recording the other tracks
and then replace it with some more interesting loops I pick from my
sample collection (I have several
sample collections full of drum loops). Sometimes I may leave the
boring loop in the background
and sometimes I don't. Maybe I should someday learn to do non-boring
drum loops by myself too...

Best Wishes,
Karoliina
---