ardour - recording while playing a loop

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Nov 26 02:56:21 GMT 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Kim Burgess wrote:

> What you are explaining would involve multiple independent time lines. This
> is a feature I have not seen on any audio editor on any platform. The way
> this is normally done is to duplicate the loop along one track for however
> long you want it to loop and then record linearly.

Why would it involve multiple independent timelines?

I don't know Ardour very well, but I've done this sort of thing allllll the
time in Rosegarden.  (When you suck as a player as much as I do, it's really
convenient to be able to loop the one iteration of something where you didn't
make any really horrible mistakes.)

Record a four-bar riff on a guitar, shrink the segment so it starts and ends
exactly at a barline (if necessary,) toggle the Repeat checkbox in Segment
Parameters, and then you can move 73.25 measure ahead, hit play, and you'll
hear the right audio.  You can record over this all day long.

Surely Ardour could do exactly the same thing (and maybe it already does, and
I'm too stupid to figure out how to work it.)

I don't see how the original poster is asking for magic here.
--
D. Michael McIntyre