So Frustrating

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 25 17:00:04 GMT 2007

RoLo wrote:
> Hello, been working with Ubuntu Studio, and have some question for you.
>
> 1. Can somebody explain in simple words how do you do your musical
> process overflow on Ubuntu studio??
> 2. Can somebody explain me what is jack and how to use it. I use some
> programs, cause I dream about a day where I can produce all my music
> with Open Source, but to be honest It's been so hard because of the
> documentation. I still join everything with cubase 'cause is faster for
> me and don't really understand how to connect programs on Linux using
> jack, so I export everything to wav and mix it up on Cubase, yeah I'm
> not proud of it but I haven't been able to use JAMin, so....

I'll leave this for others.

> 3. Do you know any guide for Audio on Linux for newbies? For a standard
> Windows/Mac user is FRUSTRATING not to found a nice guide on
> ubuntustudio site. Don't wan't to be annoying but ¿How exactly do you
> guys plan on making people adopt this new software/apps with out a GOOD
> tutorials for newbies?And being said so, Is anybody out here interested
> on doing that? I'll join to that initiative.

We do and have had a place for just this.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio That is the place to
generate info/help/guides specific to Ubuntu Studio.

Murat Günes, has recently been appointed our documentation lead. Over
the coming months he hopes to address some of the issues here. Realize
that this is a community and it takes YOU (directed at everyone reading)
also to improve this.

> 4. This mailing list is a really good method for helping users but I
> think that maybe is time to wonder about a really nice, cool user
> friendly way to teach new users this exciting distro.

This mailing list and wiki will remain the "official" places for
documentation though it would be nice to output to a printable format.

Everyone has to also remember that windows nor Mac (since the comparison
was made) does this. Documentation is generated by upstream. So I'm
against doing *major* documentation for a app within Ubuntu Studio. If
one starts to write documentation than realizes that most of the writing
is about the app specifically than I would encourage that person to look
at getting the info to upstream.

One thing we can do and should/can be a fairly easy task is have a wiki
page with links to upstream documentation.

-Cory \m/