newbie with a problem..

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:40:06 GMT 2007

On 11/21/07, verymeta at riseup.net <verymeta at riseup.net> wrote:
> Thanks for all the good advice.. Yup recording tracks and then playing
> them back seems to be the way forward for me - not ideal as I like to
> twiddle the knobs on amSynth while I'm recording, but in fact I only
> usually do this with 2 or 3 amSynths per song so the rest could be
> pre-recorded.

Seq24 records and sends midi-controller-messages for automatation.
You can see and edit them where the note-on-velocitys are shown by
default. just select the required controller number from the dropdown
menu.
Depending on the synth you are using, parameters have fixed controller
numbers (zynaddsubfx) or free assignable ones (ams, phasex) - don't
know about amsynth.

> I've had a go at this and it's a bit annoying because it's hard to get
> everything playing in sync - is there a way I can press one button, and
> have Seq24 start playing, and some other piece of software that can play a
> pre-recorded track (Ardour, or something else) starts playing at the same
> time? (And maybe recording as well?) Sorry if this is a dumb question. I
> had a look for a very simple sampler that could just be plugged into
> Seq24, and couldn't find anything.

In Ardour you can set the sync mode to  jack-transport in the
top-panel (ardour2) or in something like the settings/options window
(ardour)
http://ardour.org/files/manual/ch-synchronization.html

In seq24 there is a tab in the options menu where you can set sync
method to  jack-time-master or time-master-conditional (difference? -
both work for me).

Then, starting/stopping any of the apps will start/stop all of them.
Make shure to choose the same bpm-number in all of them.

regards, david