Notation Software

Det mailtodet at dets-home.de
Fri Nov 23 09:03:16 GMT 2007

D. Michael McIntyre:

> Of course this all assumes Ubuntu Studio is even concerned with notation.
> Is it?  Is this really a big question for your users?

Was that a serious question?

Then a serious answer:

Ubuntustudio is cheap.  Costs as much to get the image and
the time to install and configure it.

So if you need a workstation for anything about sound, especially
in hobby or the like categories, try that.
That's my call.

The use cases which now involve "sound" are very broad:

1.)  Recording MIDI/Audio
2.)  creating your own (Demo-)CD.   Done technically by appyling 1 plus
      mastering.
3.)  Playing soft synths  (perhaps live, but mostly similar to 1. I think)
4.)  Creating jingles and backgrounds for some community live events,
      technically identical to 1.
5.)  creating your own podcast.  Done by 1 plus administering the publication
      of the resulting podcast file.
6.)  making your own local radio broadcasting service.
      Is more live streaming plus playing back jingles and recordings, plus
      indeed recording and mastering audio (interviews, reportages a.s.o)
7.)  creating soundtracks for selfmade videos (yes, u-studio is more than
sound).
      technically similar to 1 plus sync to the video and integrating the
sound track

and now:

8.)  Composing your own songs
      technically like 1 (midi only),  plus printing out the notation to
publish it.
9.)  arranging songs for your band, combo, orchestra
      identical to 8:    technically like 1, plus printing out the score
                             or parts of it (lead sheet) for your mates.
10.)  Trying to pick out melodies or harmonies from recordings, to cover it.
      After recording a wave you overlay it with midi tracks, compare it
all and
      if satisfied with the result finally print out the notation.
11.)  Teaching music to your pupils:  Creating exercises in score
      plus exporting acoustic examples.
      Contrary to 8, the score here may come first.

You see: Although maybe not complete, I immediately found six usecases
without and four with notation involved.  (Usecase No 1 is indeed very basic
and part of the others).

Just my 2ct
Det