Presonus Firebox on Ubuntu Studio

hamish sub_acoustic at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Nov 19 18:42:14 GMT 2007

Hi,
I'm almost close enough to make some sound with Ubuntu Studio, however i
haven't been able to find some clear instructions to get my soundcard
working, if anyone can give me some advice or direct me to the info i'd
appreciate it.

this is as far as I've got so far>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

freebob and a realtime kernel are installed already

in  /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules
i changed
KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="audio"

then I reloaded udev :
# /etc/init.d/sudo udev restart
reload raw1394 device :
# sudo rmmod raw1394
# sudo modprobe raw1394

(only works with sudo - how can i change the permissions)

hamish at hamish-laptop:~$ sudo jackd -d freebob
[sudo] password for hamish:
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 0.
You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 1.
You may need to manually set the channel on the transmitting node.

but i can't get Qjackctl working properly
seems i need to do everything as root
how can i change the permissions
perhaps that's all that's needed