Trying to record form line-in: crappy sound. Voice is ok.

greg emond g4gregoire at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 14:05:22 GMT 2007

I agree with kim...and also thought of something else...maybe your buffer size...since the mic in is mono, the buffer can be enough, but CD is stereo, so twice the amount to process, so getting the buffer size higher would be advisable....Especially since you dont need low latency to copy a cd.  Besides, with cheap onboard stuff, its always recommended to have high buffer settings :)

but yeah, why dont you just rip it? im interested too!  (and I felt a bit stupid not to ask this myself)

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:27:20 +1000From: phreaksaccount at gmail.comTo: ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.comSubject: Re: Trying to record form line-in: crappy sound. Voice is ok.
By the sounds of it you have a combination of an impedance mismatch and digital clipping. You can try attenuating the output level of the cd player in order to compensate for the pre-amp as greg mentioned, also ensure that you don't have a mic boost activated anywhere. If this continues to cause problems you can purchase a cheap external sound card from ebay, if possible one tailered for 'vinyl digitalisation' as the pre-amp will be better matched to the cd player output. Although, I have to ask, if you are simply trying to transfer a copy of the cd track on to your computer, why don't you just rip it?
................................................Kim BurgessP  +61 7 3366 8971M  +61 4 2339 9187E  phreaksaccount at gmail.com