laptops

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Fri Nov 16 22:19:30 GMT 2007

I have a Compaq Presario V3010ca.  Dual core Turion (2 gigs of RAM) that
had tons of bugs when I first got it a year ago.  It works great (now)
with jack, ardour, rosegarden, zynadsubfx, qsynth/fluidsynth, dssi,  etc.

What chipset is your laptop based on?  This is probably the source of
your problems.  My laptop did not stablize until the 2.6.18 series, and
it has really started to work well with the 2.6.22+ series.  Crappy
weird bios and chipset (nvidia MCP 51).  With Intel's recent FOSS
friendly stance with respect to drivers, I think I am solidly back in
their camp.

Most of the time I use 64Studio (64 bit), for day to day computer use
and some audio work I use Ubuntu (32bit).

Keep in mind that I have an RMI 9652 PCI card in the desktop that I do
the "serious" work on.

Also, the onboard sound card is temperamental at really low latencies,
so try not to be too aggressive with your jack settings.  A USB sound
card might be the way to go, firewire still has some issues, but this
site should be useful if you go this route:
http://ffado.org/

Hth,