MIDI Controllers

Steve Lindsay stephen.a.lindsay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:14:51 GMT 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 6:43 AM, holotone at gmail.com <holotone at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a follow up, I should note that I understand the basic idea behind MIDI,
> and was wondering more specifically I could do in a Linux environment, from
> standard uses to more "out of the box" type stuff. Also, while we're on the
> subject, are there any suggestions for other MIDI controllers?

I have a Behringer UMX61 which "just works". I'm not a keyboard guy so
I can't tell you whether it's a great keyboard, but it's suitable for
a hack like myself.

On linux you can:
- hook it up to a soft synth (Zynaddsubfx, Hexter, etc.)
- hook it up to a sequencer (Rosegarden, Muse, hopefully Ardour soon)
- not sure what else

The UMX has a bunch of knobs on it, in some synths (Phasex for
example) you can assign different parameters to the different knobs,
so that you can play around with the synth using the knobs on the
keyboard which is cool.

Cheers...Steve

ps. Anyone packaging Phasex? I am keen to learn how to package and
thought that might be a nice place to start.