laptops

Larry Lines larry at twistedpop.com
Wed Nov 14 01:10:51 GMT 2007

It was between this and the 1501 but I wanted to do the 64 bit AMD.
Should have done the 1505.

Larry

 Everything is working great here on a Dell Inspiron E1505 (one of the
 straight from Dell Ubuntu installs originally, fwiw.).

 ~holotone

 On 11/13/07, LARRY LINES  <[LINK: mailto:larry at twistedpop.com]
 larry at twistedpop.com> wrote:What laptops do users on this list have ubuntu
 studio running
 successfully?  By successful I mean running jackd and rosegarden and
 ardour.  Specify 32 or 64 bit version of ubuntu studio.

 The reason I am asking this is I have a Dell Inspiron 1501, Turion Dual
 Core 64 bit, 2 GB of RAM.  I specifically got this computer for sound
 and graphics using linux.  I should have sent it back when I found that
 there was a kernel bug which I had a chance to do.  I could link a dozen
 references to this stupid thing that had us Dell 1501 owners installing
 distros and not being able to get the installation even started without
 pci=nomsi and a dozen other ineffective kernel parameters.

 But this thing is essentially useless for Linux sound.  Jackd will NOT
 run.  In Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Studio, it just
 essentially won't run.  I think it has something to do with the
 original
 kernel bug, but I have no way of knowing, because I essentially get
 non-answers from any of the lists on this.  It appears that no one that
 got a Dell 1501 ever wanted to get any of this working.  I have set up
 working Linux studios on a lot of other hardware and this has never
 happened.

 So now I am thinking of selling this stupid thing and cutting my losses
 and moving on to another pc based laptop that other people are using to
 run linux sound.  So give me some examples of working laptops with
 ubuntu studio.

 Larry Lines

 Modify settings or unsubscribe at: [LINK:

 Modify settings or unsubscribe at: [LINK: