Res: Res: failed to fetch

Janne Jokitalo astraljava at kapsi.fi
Tue Nov 6 15:01:07 GMT 2007

Pietro Bergamo wrote:
> Hi, Janne. This is my /etc/apt/source[s].list

Hi, hope that was a typo. ^^^^^^ :)

> # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.10 _Edgy Eft_ - Release i386 (20061025)]/ edgy main
> restricted

Don't need this, so safe to delete if you want to avoid distractions. :)

> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted multiverse
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

This should be okay, but you're missing deb-src for multiverse

> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the ##
> distribution. deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main
> restricted multiverse deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> feisty-updates main restricted

Again the same.

> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
> ## repository. ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY
> UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu ## team, and may not be under a free licence.
> Please satisfy yourself as to ## your rights to use the software. Also,
> please note that software in ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or
> updates from the Ubuntu security ## team. # deb
> http://br.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe # deb-src
> http://br.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe

They are in comments, but again, if you want to avoid confusion...

> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
>  ## repository. ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been
> tested as ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although
> it includes ## newer versions of some applications which may provide
> useful features. ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT
> receive any review ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team. # deb
> http://br.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse # deb-src http://br.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

Repeated. :)

> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-security main restricted
> multiverse deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-security main
> restricted

Looks alright, but you're missing multiverse from deb-src.

> # deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe # deb-src
> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe

Irrelevant now, but commented so don't hurt but would be better to get rid of.

> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com gutsy main

Now this is plain wrong. Missing /ubuntu/ after the domain name.

> There's a lot of edgy and feisty stuff. Could that be it?

Don't know. But besides the multiverse cut-outs on a few deb-src, you're
missing out on universe completely. Add it for regular, -updates and
-security, that last of which is on a different subdomain, take notice from
that edgy-security above.

> There are also the source.list.distUpgrade and the source.list.save
> files, which have no gutsy stuff in them.

I'm guessing it never got that far. You need to get that sources.list in
order first, then do `sudo apt-get update` which will check whether your
current system is up-to-date or not, `sudo apt-get upgrade` to make it so,
and only then `sudo apt-get dist-upgrade` or use update-manager, which is
recommended of course.

It's not a very complicated process, but needs to have a few fundamental
things right for successful upgrade. :)

--
Jaska