problems cleaning up in ardour

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Nov 3 03:22:07 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007, greg emond wrote:

> i don't know if I should post this here or on the ardour site...but hell.
>
> I just  love ardour,  but there is a problem...I'm kind of a sloppy
> musician, and I have to re-take a lot...which means that a lot of useless
> audio gets saved in the song files.   for instance, the last song I wrote
> has a whopping 8 gig .wav file!

I can be of no real help to you at all, but your post makes me smile.
Apparently Ardour has this problem too, so it's not just Rosegarden.  We came
up with some new cleanup tools a few versions ago, but they're bad to use,
and even though I have them now, I still never remember to use them.

My hard disk is chock full of random useless recordings of bad takes I forgot
to delete while I could still keep track of what they belonged to, and
sorting this mess out is almost impossible.

Thankfully we have cheap hard disks these days.  What's another 40 gigs to
preserve the random three gigs of real stuff I might have laying around?
Although my real stuff might even be only half of that.

Anyway, I'm not helping you, and I apologize for hijacking your plea for help,
but I also thank you for the source of amusement.
--
D. Michael McIntyre