Problems installing

Karlheinz Noise khzmusik at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:36:46 BST 2007

Hi, this is Karlheinz. I'm very much a Linux newbie, and have been meaning
to get into Linux audio for some time. I figured that Ubuntu Studio would be
a pretty good way to start out.

I'm trying to install over an old Windows 2000 machine. And when I say
"old," I mean it has a Celeron 400MHz processor. I thought I'd install on
that machine to get to know the programs, then possibly do a dual boot to
Windows/Linux for my recording studio.

The problem is that Ubuntu won't install.

I get the startup screen just fine when I boot to the Ubuntu disc. But when
I try to install, I get this message:

"crc error

-- System halted"

I downloaded the ISO image just fine; the MD5 checksums matched. I used Nero
to burn it onto a DVD at the lowest speed possible; and just to make sure it
wasn't just a bad disc, I burned two copies. The same thing happened with
both.

Any clue what's going on?

-Karlheinz
http://www.khznoise.com