Update manager and updating in general

Jonathan Leonard jonathan.adams.leonard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:39:47 BST 2007

	So my ubuntu studio informed me this morning that openoffice has an
update available...there are also new versions of ardour and
rosegarden though the update notification never mentions these.  I
could care less about open office and all that other stuff.  What is
ok to install for studio and what isn't?  I don't want to break
anything in studio, but I am not sure what is safe to install.  And
what is the best method - should I stick with synaptic, or do apt-get
or compile manually?  I notice synaptic is not aware that I indeed
installed alsa firmware - it remains unchecked.  Should I wait until
ardour and rosegarden are brought to me via update manager, or should
I wait until OCTOBER for the next release according to the roadmap?

	Not sure what the recommended procedure for updating is, and whether
I should do this at all.