"The Death of High Fidelity" Sad, sad, sad...

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Dec 29 23:07:45 GMT 2007

On Saturday 29 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> Meh. Some heavily DRM'ed lossy format with all the songs/art in 1 file.

You forgot the part where the DRM encoding adds extra noise.

> CD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Hell, I can still buy most of
> the music I listen to on vinyl. :D

I don't want to think too much about vinyl.  When I moved out, I didn't have
room for my record collection, and I didn't have a turntable.  I left it in
my closet, with Mom's permission.  One day a year or so later, Dad decided to
clean house.  I don't remember everything I had, but I do know very little of
it has ever made it onto CD.  Must have been more than a thousand LPs, all
gifts from my great grantfather.  Mostly classical, mostly expensive boxed
set stuff.

All in a landfill somewhere.

Here's a tissue to wipe that tear.  I think I'll have one myself.

What I wouldn't give to have that back, and one of the new USB turntables.
--
D. Michael McIntyre