upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Dec 29 19:47:29 GMT 2007

Andrew Hunter wrote:
> Since you are doing a format anyway, consider creating a separate
> partition for your /home folder and any other place you store media,
> that way you can format and reinstall the os without haveing to backup
> and restore you data everytime (though having regular backups is a good
> idea).

Well, it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" - I'm familiar with all
those common practices, it's just that I've been using this system for a
while in fairly "creative" ways (it's a home PC / workstation used for
all kinds of purposes) and the lack of discipline now shows.

Also, there's a conflict between partitioning the drives for easier
reinstallation, and maximizing disk usage via _not_having_ too many
partitions. I chose the latter on purpose - I'm doing all sorts of
things that require a lot of disk space, such as digital video
processing and DVD authoring, a MythTV server, etc.

Having a single root partition and nothing else makes it easier to avoid
situations when I don't have enough disk space to complete the work. But
of course, then it's harder to upgrade the OS, just like you said.

Ah well, one can't have it all, I guess.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/