"The Death of High Fidelity" Sad, sad, sad...

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 17:35:02 GMT 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
>
>> Sad article on the state of production and how undiscriminating/ignorant
>> consumers are killing fidelity.
>>

> It's funny reading this with the JAMin tutorial in mind.  That tutorial is all
> about trying to make everything loud, just like the article hates.
>
> I agree about MP3s too.  I just don't get the age of people walking around
> with little things shoved in their ears, listening to hollowed out tracks
> that have sacrificed their core in the name of lossy compression.

My personal glaring example of this was Vertical Horizon's "Everything
You Want". Big radio song and I heard it a million times before I heard
the CD. WOW. The CD was so much more dynamic. It was like listening to a
different song.

Now I understand the reason for radio compression but to master songs
this way is just criminal.

> Especially now that so many people are foregoing CDs completely, and just
> buying MP3s.  They never have a chance to hear what the music wanted to be.
>
> Of course you can make all kinds of arguments about how true audiophiles still
> do everything the analog way, and/or the lousy 44.1 kHz/16-bits of CDs just
> isn't high enough, etc.
>
> I guess there's a certain element of where to draw the line here, but it's
> depressing how far down the line is trending these days.

*sigh* :(

-Cory \m/