More "feature-rich" burning app for Ubuntu Studio-Hardy. (Update)

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:02:49 GMT 2007

Thanks Cory, I appreciate the clarification.

>> Unfortunately, you can't please everyone.
>And you *might* end up being one of these people here.

Ha!  I'm not sure how I could possibly ever be disappointed.  If the
tool that I want is not there, I'll install it (after all, I've got
opposable thumbs...).  There's no way I could possibly be
disappointed.  Thanks to you and everyone involved for all of the hard
work!

- Darrin

On Dec 27, 2007 10:01 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Darrin Goodman wrote:
> >> You need to have an DVD-ISO made by a capable application. QDVD-author
> >> can do this and others too but I would encourage the use of Cinelerra
> >> for this to make the needed VOB-files. Afterwards one my use some
> >> DVD-Authoring tool like the above mentioned QDVD-author to make an ISO
> >> that can be burned to DVD by Brasero, K3B or whatever etc etc.
> >>

> > Surely I must be missing something here.
>
> I think you are like I was. He means creating the structure.
>
> > K3B will burn DVD ISO's.
> > It's what I use when I download a Linux distro and burn to DVD as an
> > ISO image.  Is there something different about burning video as an
> > ISO?  I am assuming that the video-to-be-burned has already been
> > encoded and that the burning software is only burning the ISO, and not
> > performing any encoding duties.  Also, I stumbled across this
> > interesting blog entry a while back about ManDVD.  Apparently, you can
> > create menus, chapters, etc. with ManDVD, and then use your favorite
> > burning application to burn the video to CD/DVD (I have no experience
> > with using this tool).  Not sure if that helps anyone out or not.
> > http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/11/20/create-video-dvds-with-mandvd/
> >

> >> "Look and feel" is *not* irrelevant.
> >> Try telling that to any marketing/design firm.
> >>

> > Unfortunately, you can't please everyone.
>
> And you *might* end up being one of these people here.
>
> > Regarding K3B vs. Gnomebaker vs. something else:
> > Until just now, I had never before used Gnomebaker.  I have used
> > Nautilus occasionally in the past to burn CD's, but I primarily use
> > K3B for all of my burning needs.  I just installed Gnomebaker and can
> > say that in my unbiased opinion, K3B is immediately more intuitive to
> > me.  The initial K3B menu gives more options in terms of
> > "what-do-you-wish-to-do?" than what I see under Gnomebaker, and I
> > don't see anything about ISO burning capabilities in Gnomebaker
> > (whereas K3B does burn ISO images).  Just my $.02.
> >
> > - Darrin
>
> I think to some degree you're missing my point as I still have not
> received and technical reasons why K3B is the best app for Ubuntu
> Studio's needs. This goes for anyone actually.
>
> At this point, I'm more inclined to use Gnomebaker, Brasero or even just
> stick with Nautilus. But, out of this chat has come ideas about DVD
> authoring software. So thats good.
>
> -Cory \m/

.   __o
._ \ <,