DVD authoring

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 17:08:52 GMT 2007

Karlheinz Noise wrote:
> Hello, all. Thought I'd shed some light onto the DVD-authoring quagmire.
>
> The DVD standard requires that video be compressed in MPEG format, and that the audio is _usually_ AC3 format. It then has to be "containerized" into VOB files that contain information such as chapters, subtitles, etc.
>
> Although the MPEG standard is open, the actual algorithms used to encode to MPEG are not, so any video compression algorithm under a GNU license has to start from the ground up. AC3, on the other hand, is not open at all (it's copyright Dolby Digital). The licenses for these things are usually included in the cost of the software and/or hardware.
>
> In other words, any GNU software that deals with DVD authoring is an uphill battle, since it requires working around non-free encoders and whatnot. That's why it's pretty far behind on Linux.
>
> (In fact, most OEM versions of Nero won't even do it... you have to get the full version, or pay for an encoder. At least that's the way it is with my version.)
>
> Be prepared to wait a long while before all this gets resolved... and by then, of course, consumers will have moved on to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, both of which are proprietary I believe.
>
> Having said all that, it seems like QDVD is the best Linux option... Does Ubuntu Studio come with the Qt library already installed? I'm obviously a novice at peeking under the hood, so to speak. If it does, I see no reason that it shouldn't be included in the distribution. (It's out of beta now, isn't it?)
>
> -Karlheinz
> _______________________
> http://www.khznoise.com
> i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference.
> http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_Cause_Effect

Thanx for the post Karlheinz. Was something I was about to post but you
said it just fine. ;)

That said, in this case its not about the QT/GTK libs shipped. Its about
whether we can actually ship QDVD as the tools it uses most likely come
from Multiverse. Since we stay in line with Ubuntu, we cannot do this.
I'll have to dig into dig into QDVD more though.

As far as I know though, if all your sources are encoded already there's
nothing stopping you from creating a DVD. Structure, menus and such. Right?

-Cory \m/