updating a programme

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 11:57:02 GMT 2007

This is going to seem like a really simple question, but when compiling and
installing newer versions of programmes outside of the normal autobuild
systems like synaptic, do i need to completely remove the older version
first, or while the update install over the top? I've googled this, and
there seems to be a bit of both ways on this one.

Not sure if this the right thing to do, but i'd also ask why so many of
these programmes have predominately white exteriors. I have some degree of
light sensitivity, and broad white backgrounds, tool backgrounds, etc.. tend
to give me grief after a while (rosegarden , muse, etc...). I'm on the
fairly generic ub setup, with gnome.
What can i do to change this? I'm no goth, lol, and don't want everything
black or evil looking, but even a neutral cream or grey (gulp) would be more
bearable.

Alex.