a programme addition request

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:15:34 GMT 2007

Hello all,
I´m Alex, and very new to linux, ubuntustudio, and mailing lists in general,
so if i breach any protocol, please let me know.

I´ve been using ubs for about a month and a half, and after finding
(stumbling, falling, lurching, pick one...) my way through the install, and
installation of extra packages, everything is running smoothly at last. I´m
a full time writer and composer of mainly classical and film/doc/ad music,
so getting all this working smoothly is of some importance. And with further
tweaks to the system, i´m enjoying a stability, speed, smoothness, and
relability that i´d never expected to get with more commercially inclined
os´s. (Win, Mac, etc...) It´s a singularly rewarding feeling to use a
complete solution geared specifically for audio/video use, and my thanks and
appreciation go to the ubuntustudio devs for their efforts. Thanks chaps!
Long may this distro reign and mature....

In the process of setting up a working environment, i´ve been trying more
than one notation editor programme or component. Those included in other
programmes, like rosegarden are functional, but lack a couple of bits here
and there related to an intuitive workflow. Noteedit does fairly well, and
the evolution of that, Canorus, seems to be making headway as well.
I have another, that i ask the ubuntustudio team to consider for inclusion.

Mscore, or musescore.  (by Werner Schweer, the developer of Muse.)

This programme, even in it´s juvenile state, is already usuable, and seems
to hold much promise for a notation solution for chaps like me who write
notes for a living, but need the import/export/ channeling components to
feed into a performance end result. (and i´m currently doing this with
Reaper, in Wine.)

Is there a programme submission list or a procedure i need to follow to have
this considered?

As i´m very new at linux the deb building from source process is still
beyond me, so to access a deb of this programme from the usual repositories
would be a welcome bonus.

Regards to all in this festive season,

Alex Stone.