The mystical world of video...

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Dec 15 18:52:35 GMT 2007

On Saturday 15 December 2007, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Have you tried to use K3B?

I tried that first.  If there's a way to take *.avi and burn a video DVD with
K3B, it sure isn't obvious.  Start new Video DVD Project, and you wind up
with a drop window that has mysterious subdirectories AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
in it.  No idea WTF that's all about.

Same thing happens if I try to rip the DVD I successfully burned with Windows.
K3B shows a /tmp directory with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subdirectories, but the
light on the drive never flickers, and it doesn't do anything.

I also tried KMediaFactory, which looked encouraging, but proved discouraging.
It crashed a lot, wasted a lot of disk space with incomplete conversions to a
different format, and never got to the golden prize at the end, and Kino,
with different crashes and different intermediary file formats, but the same
dismal results.  I ate up several gigabytes on useless metafiles associated
with crashed applications that never actually even started to produce
anything usable.

I've been looking for the Ubuntu Studio page that says "Ubuntu Studio is all
about video.  Whip out Mystery App or Other Super Better Mystery App and
click click click your way to bliss with our fantastic tools!!!" but I'm just
not finding anything at all, except the empty skeleton on the wiki.

Of course it's true that I'm stubbornly using Kubuntu Studio.  Maybe I'm
missing the obvious THE COOL VIDEO TOOLS THAT WORK ARE OVER HERE STUPID -->
because I'm not using GNOME.
--
D. Michael McIntyre