What is "low spec" for you?

Clinton Morse cemorse01 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 14 13:49:32 GMT 2007

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux in general but have Edubuntu running
nicely on an old 'low spec' machine.  But I'm planning on setting up a
new machine (new, but not bleeding edge) after the first of the year to
run audio apps - mostly soft synths (I used to repair hardware synths in
the '80s) and sequencers and realize I need more horsepower for this
computation intensive kind of stuff.

I'm planning on going with 64 bit Ubuntu Studio distro on AMD processor
but am not sure whether to go with a faster dual core (say 2.6-3.0 ghz)
or whether I'll see better performance (lower latency) with one of the
entry level Phenom quad core processors.  I'm assuming that running
synth's/plug-ins the Linux Kernel will split processing evenly between
the cores so the quad seems likely to give better performance.  Just
curious what opinions or experience from other users of Ubuntu Studio
have to say on the tradeoff of core count versus chip speed.

Thanks in advance..