usb or fw? + anyone have a jamlab?

fridolin fridolin at
Tue Dec 11 22:31:07 GMT 2007

I don't know the Jamlab, but I can assure you that there's no difference 
between audio boxes for desktops and laptops - only that you can't use 
any PCI interfaces on laptops.

I'd in fact rather go for a firewire interface than something on USB 
since there's usually lots of other (non-audio-related) stuff on a USB 
like mouse, bluetooth adapters, keyboard, storage devices and so on... 
And all these devices have to share resources on the USB hub inside your 
computer while your audio interface would likely be "home alone" on the 
firewire port!

Hearing a recorded mono signal on both channels while having it recorded 
(and/or patched) to only one comes usually from "crosstalk" between 
different audio channels on the analog side, e.g. on your audio output 
interface or mixing console - you don't have to "cross lines", simply 
"pan" the recorded mono signal to center in ardour and get a better 
audio interface or mixer!



Greg K. wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using a M-Audio Jam Lab (usb) on my Desktop PC to record bass/guitar.
> Someone advised me not to get a firewire equipment on my Desktop, 
> saying it was recommended for laptops.
> What do you guys think about that?
> Also I would like to know if someone is using a M-Audio Jam Lab too, 
> because it looks like the input is mono, and when I record an 
> instrument, I can hear it correctly on the right side, but with a 
> verrrrrrry low-low-low-low volume on the left, so I usually "cross the 
> lines" on patchage to have my captures enter my Ardour track on both 
> left & right.
> So if anyone has one: Do you have the same problem? If no, what's your 
> configuration please?
> Thanks,
> KoZo
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Besoin d'un e-mail ? Créez gratuitement un compte Windows Live Hotmail 
> et bénéficiez d'un filtre antivirus gratuit ! Windows Live Hotmail 
> <>

More information about the Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list