Mailing list etiquette [ was: Re: Apology for/explanation of rant, was Re: What do you guys listen to? :) ]

Larry Lines larry at twistedpop.com
Mon Dec 3 16:37:59 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:28 +0200, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
>
> ...a meaningless one-liner and left a whole bunch of contentless quote to boot.
>
> People, please, do watch what you're writing on a very concentrated mailing
> list. I'm sure I speak for many here, when I say TRIM the quotes, and
> consider first whether that damned funny one-liner really has importance in
> the first place so that it is necessary for others to see.
>
> This is not IRC, after all.
>
> Oh, and some of us mind the top-posting too. :)
>
> I know, I'm such a bore...
>

> --
> Jaska

I wasn't going to mention this but since this was brought up.  I don't
mind the witty quips.  The top-posting bothers me.  And it wouldn't
bother me if it were only top posting.  But some people do the normal
being a jumble of eventually unreadable squibble.  If I want to glean
any useful information out of the post, I have to jump back and forth
and figure out who is answering who.  It really makes for a useless
mailing list.  I am on several because of various responsibilities and
to tell the truth, as soon as I see the jumping around, I skip the post.

For those of you who don't know mailing list etiquette, if you are
replying to a post, go to the end of the email and add your text to the
end of the email.  Really it's amazing how useless the information in
the list can end up becoming if this simple rule isn't followed.

Larry Lines